1. Cut the burlap the same size or a little smaller than your wood. Make the edges as straight as possible. Pull the end pieces to fray the edges to your liking.
2. Use the brown acrylic paint on the wood or your canvas a background stain. I used just a thin coating.
3. Print out one of the free stencils online and cut it out.
4. Spray adhesive on the back of your stencil and place on your burlap. It helps keep in place and you won't see it when you pull it off.
5. Start to stencil with the brown paint. Make sure you use the "pounce" method so paint doesn't get under your stencil.
6. Peel away the stencil and use a thin brush for the nose and hand paint the word "Joy".